Business Personal Property & Residential Rentals

Residential Rental (Prior to 2023; See Business Personal Property for tax years 2023 and forward)

By law, every person who owns a property in SC that is listed at the 6% second residence rate must make a return with the Auditor’s Office stating whether or not the property is rental. This return is called a Return on 6% Assessed Real Property or Rental Residential Property form. If the property is a rental, the value of any personal property to include furnishings and appliances must be included on the return. You will then receive a tax bill in the fall based on the value provided. If a return is not made, the Auditor must make a return per §12 -37 -760. This statutory return filed by the Auditor will assume that the residence is a fully furnished rental unit. 

Making A Return

If you do not rent, you still must make a return. When completing the annual return form for your rental property, you may note the original cost of furnishings or appliances, total depreciation, and total current value. If you do not know these values, you may estimate the total current value by using a replacement or fair market value.

If you need to change a value or if you did not file an original return, you may file an amended return on or before the last day the bill can be paid in a timely manner. After this date, the bill must be paid prior to making any adjustments. An amended return can then be submitted to the Auditor’s Office to request a refund for any overpayment. 

Important: If you report that the property is a rental but is rented without furnishings or appliances, the Auditor’s Office reserves the right to verify this. If you purchase the property furnished, you must report the value of any appliances or furnishings provided to tenants even if you did not originally purchase them. As a courtesy, the Auditor’s Office mails out reminder notices to file these returns to all taxpayers who own a residence in Georgetown County that is taxed at the 6%. These reminders are mailed to the same address recorded on the real property account. Please make sure this address is correct with the Assessor’s Office

Residential Rental Property Return (PDF) - you may email completed the form to

Business Personal Property, Dept. of Revenue (DOR) (Residential Rental after 2023 will be considered a Business Personal Property)

If you own a business or rent out a furnished residence in Georgetown County, you are required file a PT100 with the Department of Revenue on a yearly basis. Please use the link below to visit the DOR website.

You may also contact DOR at:

South Carolina Department of Revenue
Business Personal Property
Columbia, SC 29214-0301

BPP Taxes
Phone: 803-898-5222
Fax: 803-898-5484

BPP MyDORWAY Registration
Phone: 803-898-7700