What do I need to know to run a business out of my home?

Any use conducted entirely within a dwelling and carried on by the occupants thereof, which is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of a dwelling for residential purposes and does not change the character thereof, and no person, not a resident on the premises is employed specifically in connection with the activity is considered a home occupation. The following home occupations may employ no more than one assistant: 

  • Chiropractor
  • Dentist
  • Family day care homes
  • Lawyer
  • Physician

No mechanical equipment may be installed and used except such as normally used for domestic or professional purposes. No more than 25% of the total floor space of any structure may be used for the home occupation. Home occupations are allowed in any zoning district. Contact the Zoning Department for more information and further requirements.

Show All Answers

1. Where is the Zoning Department located?
2. Does Georgetown County require business licenses?
3. What do I need to know to vend on someone else's property?
4. What do I need to know to run a business out of my home?
5. How do I obtain a tree removal/pruning permit?
6. What are the requirements for installing a fence on my property? Do I need a building permit for a fence?
7. What zoning districts are mobile homes allowed in?
8. What do I need to do to move a mobile home on to a lot in Georgetown County?
9. What do I do if I cannot afford impact fees?