Where do I file for a Restraining Order?

If you are seeking a Restraining Order because of an incident of domestic abuse, first contact the Family Justice Center of Georgetown County, 843-546-3926 to initiate the process, which will be filed in Family Court. If you are in immediate distress or danger, please call 911. Domestic Abuse Petitions cover family members and two unmarried parties that have a child together. Restraining Orders are only temporary through the filing of a Domestic Abuse Petition. If you wish to file for a "permanent" Restraining Order, you will need an attorney unless you know and understand the proper procedure.

Show All Answers

1. How do I make child or spousal support payments in Georgetown County?
2. How can I check to see if my child support payment has been made?
3. I was in court recently and I was ordered to make a lump sum payment, or to pay a court cost that is different from my regular payment. Should I pay the SDU?
4. If child support or alimony payments are not being made by the responsible party as ordered, why has he/she not been brought before the Court?
5. Where and how do I file for child support?
6. Where do I change my address?
7. What services does the South Carolina Department of Social Services provide?
8. Where do I file for a Restraining Order?
9. Does the Family Court give out legal advice?
10. Can the Family Court staff recommend an attorney or law firm?
11. Can I act as my own attorney when filing a case?