Parks & Recreation
The mission of the Georgetown County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PDF) is to enhance the quality of life for Georgetown County residents and visitors; to promote a strong sense of community by providing a broad, diverse and challenging set of cultural and recreational programs; and to offer clean, beautiful and safe parks.
The Department encompasses three separate divisions:
- Recreation - Creates, develops, and maintains youth and adult sports leagues; operates regional recreation centers; and offers a diverse catalog of classes and programs. While Recreation does not directly administrate youth baseball, the Department does liaise with the four regional Dixie Youth Booster Clubs - Andrews, Georgetown, Pleasant Hill and Waccamaw - to assist in the creation of each year's youth baseball schedule.
- Parks Maintenance - Maintains and manages all fields, beach accesses, boat landings, and more.
- Bureau of Aging Services - Provides a variety of services to Georgetown County's senior citizens, including meal delivery, congregant dining, as well as assistance with transportation to medical appointments.
Collectively, members of the Department play a pivotal role during times of emergency or crisis by operating shelters, providing logistical support, engaging in debris removal operations on Georgetown County property, and generally supplementing the needs of the County Emergency Management Department.
Caring by Sharing
If you want quality time, look no further. If you're interested in learning new things, sharing skills or just want to lend a hand, here's the perfect opportunity. Georgetown County has exciting new opportunities to offer you as a volunteer.
Register to volunteer today at 843-545-3532!
Do you have a special talent or hobby that you would feel confident teaching? Come share your knowledgeable talents by volunteering and earn extra cash. We continue to strive to offer a greater variety and number of classes at all of our recreation centers, and are currently seeking instructors. Share your unique talent with others.
Please call the Parks and Recreation office at 843-545-3532 for an appointment. Bring résumés, thoughts, ideas and any materials necessary to showcase your talents.
2021-2022 Facility Closures
Our facilities will be closed on the following dates:
- Labor Day - Monday, September 6 2021
- Veterans Day - Thursday, November 11 2021
- Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 25 2021 through Friday, November 26 2021
- Christmas - Friday, December 24 2021 through Tuesday, December 28 2021
- New Year's - Friday, December 31 2021 through Saturday, January 1 2022
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 17 2022
- Presidents Day - Monday, February 21 2022
- Good Friday - Friday, March 18 2022
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 30 2022
Parks & Recreation News
Virtual Recreation Series
During the 2020 COVID-19 closure, Parks and Recreation staff worked diligently to present videos in our Virtual Recreation Series, to help keep kids and their parents active while at home. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more than just video posts. To view the videos that have been released, please check out our YouTube playlist: